Here’s a simple, inexpensive and fun activity to do with children after reading For No Reason by Kathleen Gauer. In this heart-warming story, Jamie Higgins comes up with a kind and clever way to deal with a classroom bully, Brad Lugsley, without being mean. Ask for this title at your local library or order your own signed copy from www.skippingstonepress.net.
What You Need:
- 3 sheets of coloured construction paper 8-1/2” x 11” (red, green, and black)
- B&W printout of a map of the world globe, approx. 7” in diameter
- caption strip 2-1/2” x 6” with a kindness message (i.e., Put a smile on your face. Make the world a happy place, Smile…for no reason, Choose kind, etc.)
- crayons (blue and green)
- school glue
- paper edgers and straight-edged scissors
- happy face sticker
- googly eyes
- Cut out of the red construction paper: 1 heart, 2 half-ovals for feet and 2 mitten-shaped hands, all approx. 1” x 1”.
- Cut out of the black construction paper: a smile 5” across, and 4 strips 6” x 3/4”. Make accordian-folds about 1” apart, along all 4 strips.
- Colour and cut out the world globe.
- Glue the world globe onto the centre of the green construction paper, tucking and fastening the arms and legs just under the edges of the world.
- Glue the hands and feet onto the ends of the arms and legs.
- Glue the smile onto the world and glue the red heart onto the right corner of the smile.
- Glue the googly eyes onto the world.
- Using the paper edgers, cut around the outer edge of the poster and also around the kindness caption.
- Glue the kindness caption onto the top section of the poster and add a happy face sticker onto the bottom right corner.
- Sign your name at the bottom and hang your kindness poster on your classroom or school wall with pride!
When you’ve finished creating your poster, send a photo of your masterpiece to Skipping Stone Press on Facebook and we’ll post it on our website for all to admire!
You can download a copy of these instructions here:KINDNESS CLASSROOM POSTER ACTIVITY